A number of updates have been released by the CITB recently, which we have collated for you below. As a reminder, daily CITB updates in response to the pandemic can be found here. You local CITB advisor can advise you further as necessary. If you want to know more about the roles and responsibilities of your local advisor (or how to locate yours), click here.
CITB Skills and Training fund – Extended Deadline of 31.12.2020
The CITB Skills and Training Fund aims to help construction companies to deliver high quality learning and development experiences to employees. It provides extra incentive to access CITB grant eligible training. From 2020, it also supports a wider range of activity, with a greater emphasis on innovation, and management and leadership training.
This is split into two funds;
- Small and micro-sized businesses (Less than 100 employees)
- Medium-sized businesses (100-250 employees)
The CITB Skills and Training Fund has been expanded to include skill retention and sustainability projects during the coronavirus pandemic, and will revert to supporting productivity and innovation projects only from the extended deadline of 31 December 2020.
You can apply for this fund:
- If you are a CITB-registered employer
- If any previous project paid for by the Skills and Training fund has been signed off as complete
- Once every 12 months.
How much can you apply for:
CITB-registered employers can apply for funding related to how many direct employees they have:
- Employers with 1 to 49 directly employed staff can receive up to £5000.
- Employers with 50 to 74 directly employed staff can receive up to £7500.
- Employers with 75 to 99 directly employed staff can receive up to £10000.
CITB Site Safety Plus SSSTS/SMSTS certificate expiry –
Extended Deadline of 31.01.2021
The grace period for SMSTS (Refresher) and SSSTS (Refresher) training renewals has again been further extended to 31 January 2021.
Those whose certificates expired after 15 March 2020 must now successfully complete the relevant SSSTS/SMSTS Refresher course by 31 January 2021. The NAS are running SSSTS/SMSTS & the Refresher courses (50% discount for CITB Registered Companies who are NAS Members). Contact email@example.com to join one of our online courses (it is important to note this will be via a Virtual Classroom on Microsoft Teams, not e-learning).
CITB Site Safety Plus courses
The following are now available online. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details. It is important to note this will be via a Virtual Classroom on Microsoft Teams, not e-learning.
- DRHS – Director’s Role for Health and Safety
- HSA – Health and Safety Awareness
- SEATS – Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme
- SSSTS – Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme
- SMSTS – Site Management Safety Training Scheme
- SSSTS-R –Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme Refresher
- SMSTS-R – Site Management Safety Training Scheme Refresher
- TWGATC – Temporary Works General Awareness Training Course
- TWSTC – Temporary Works Supervisor Training Course
- TWCTC – Temporary Works Coordinator Training Course.
Free CITB COVID-19 eCourse – ‘Setting up and operating a safe construction site during COVID-19’
Government guidance is for construction sites to remain open, with a reminder to review social distancing measures and comply with the Site Operating Procedures ‐ Version 6 as of November 2020.
The FREE COVID-19 eCourse is to be used alongside existing guidelines to ensure sites remain open safely, and as the standard is not grant supported. The eCourse covers the below topics in 4 modules. You will receive certification that you have successfully completed COVID-19 ‘Setting up and operating a safe construction site’. Certification is valid for five years.
1. Course Introduction
- Hazards and risks of infectious diseases
- Legislation and guidance
2. General site measures
- Travelling to and from site
- Site access and Egress
- Site Facilities and Cleaning
- Driving on site
- Distancing (additional mitigation measures)
- Emergency Procedures
3. Outside the site gates
- Protecting the wider community
4. Conclusion and end of course knowledge check
- Course Exam
Free helpful CITB Webinars
Webinar 1: Introduction to CITB
- An overview of CITB, who are they?
- How CITB supports the industry
- How CITB support employers and what support can be accessed
- An overview of the Levy
- An introduction to apprenticeships and grant.
Webinar 2: Apprenticeships
- CITB’s apprenticeship offer
- Support available for apprentices
- Construction Talent Retention Scheme (TRS)
- Apprenticeship grants
- Digital accounts.
Webinar 3: Hiring individuals from outside the UK
Upcoming changes around the Points-Based Immigration system that will come into effect on 1 January 2021 and will impact businesses who hire individuals from outside the UK.